These burgers are plant based: No eggs, no milk, no meat at all. But they are so tasty and meaty you won't miss your beef burgers! I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
1 cup portabella mushrooms, minced
1/2 Vidalia onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 natural beet juice, with pulp
1 cup cooked lentils
1/2 cup cooked oats
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten flour
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1. Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic until tender. Set aside.
2. Cook lentils and oats together in salted water and tomato paste until tender. Set aside.
3. Mix together mushroom mixture and lentil mixture and puree it all in large bowl with immersion blender until combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix together until combined like bread dough. (If mixture is too wet add more wheat gluten a tablespoon at a time until the right texture. Slightly sticky, texture of ground beef.
4. Kneed until gluten forms (stringy when pulled apart) about 5 mins.
5. Form into patties and put on a hot grill or griddle, or freeze and use later (can be stored for up to 4 months in freezer).